- Objectives and Purposes
- Officers / Reps
- Executive Committee
- Meetings of Members
- Bylaws and Resolutions
- Permanency of the Association
Officers and Representatives
of the Association
Officers of the Association
The Executive Committee consists of:
- Information Office
Plus representatives as follows:
- 2 Secretarial Assistants
- 3 Educational Assistants
- 1 Board Office/PSDC
- 1 Library Technician
- 1 Interpretor Tutor
- Past President (non-voting member)
Duties of Executive Officers
President – The President shall:
- preside at all meetings of the members of the Association and of the Executive Committee
- be charged with all press releases and the general management and supervision of the affairs and operations of the Association
- be an ex-officio member of each committee with the exception of the nominating committee
- sign collective agreements negotiated by the collective bargaining committee after ratification of membership
- with the Secretary or other officer appointed by the Executive Committee for the purpose shall sign all by-laws
- sign cheques with the Treasurer and other documents as required
Vice-President – The Vice-President shall:
- Assume the duties and powers of the President in her absence
- Sign cheques with the Treasurer when President is unavailable
- Chair the Grievance Committee
Secretary – The Secretary shall:
- Attend all meetings of the Executive Committee and record all facts and minutes of all proceedings in the books kept for that purpose.
- Be charged with the upkeep of all books, papers, records, correspondence, contracts and other documents belonging to the Association which will be housed at the Mante Association office, which he shall deliver up only when authorized by a resolution of the Executive Committee to do so and to such person or persons as may be named in the resolution.
- Have charge of the minute books and of all other books incidental to his office.
- Keep available for information of the members all minutes and other documents
- Keep a record of the proceedings at all membership meetings of the Association
- Keep an alphabetical list of the names of all present and former members of the Association
- See that the constitution and by-laws are kept up-to-date with all changes and amendments and shall see that all members are supplied with a copy thereof and all subsequent changes and amendments thereto
- Give immediate notice in writing to any member against whom a charge has been preferred of the particulars of such charge and also give reasonable notice to members concerned of the date, time and place at which the hearing of the charge shall take place, together with such further notices as may be necessary to finally dispose of the charge, including written notice of suspension or expulsion from the Association.
- Send agendas out before meetings of Executive Committee, Annual General meeting or other meetings as called by the President
- Perform such other duties as assigned
- Should the Secretary at any time, through absence or illness, or from any other case whatsoever, be unable to discharge his duties as herein set forth, the Executive Committee may appoint any member of the Association to act in his place for the un-expired portion of the Secretary’s term of office or until the return to duty of the Secretary, whichever shall be sooner and when so acting such member shall have all the powers possessed by the Secretary.
Treasurer – The Treasurer shall:
- keep full and accurate records of accounts in which shall be recorded all receipts and disbursements of the Association and, under the direction of the Executive Committee
- shall control the deposit of money and the disbursement of the funds of the Association
- render to the Executive Committee at the meetings thereof, or whenever required of him, an account of all his transactions as Treasurer and of the financial position of the Association
- prepare an annual budget to be presented to the membership at the Annual General Meeting – the annual budget shall cover the fiscal year being from October 1 – September 30 of the succeeding year
- if necessary, introduce an amended budget during the financial year to supplement the previous annual budget. The budget shall be initiated through a general meeting of the Association and shall have as its purpose the re-allocation and re-channelling of funds, with the intention of consolidating and stabilizing the Association’s financial status.
- Perform such other duties as assigned
- Should the Treasurer at any time, be unable to discharge the duties as set forth, the Executive Committee shall appoint a member in good standing to act in her place for the un-expired portion of the Treasurer’s term of office or until the return to duty of the Treasurer, whichever should be sooner, and while so acting, such member should have all the powers possessed by the Treasurer.
Information Officer – The Information Officer shall:
- attend all Executive meetings
- distribute information/notices from the Executive to liaison personnel at various working locations
- keep a record of Association members, their classifications and working locations
- arrange the annual general meeting of the Association and any other meetings called by the President
- provide assistance to other members of the Executive when required
- write and distribute the Mante Newsletter 4 times a year
- to attend to the necessary arrangements regarding retirement gifts for year-end presentation
Past President – The Past President shall:
- attend meetings and be available to give assistance and assume responsibilities when required
- be a non-voting member of the Executive Committee
- act as Chair of the Negotiations Committee
Election Of Officers/Representatives
With the exception of the founding officers of the Association, each officer shall be elected individually at the annual meeting of the Association and shall hold office for two (2) years until the first annual meeting after he has been elected.
- elections will become staggered for one (1) Secretary representative and one (1) Educational Assistant representative. Thereby having these two positions voted on at every other general meeting
- All other positions will be voted on at every second annual general meeting
- Officers shall retire at the appropriate annual meeting but shall be eligible for re-election if otherwise qualified
- When there is more than one candidate for an office, voting must be by secret ballot
- Members of the Association may, by resolution passed by at least two-thirds (2/3) of the votes cast at a membership meeting of which notice specifying the intention to pass such resolution has been given, remove any officer before the expiration of his term of office and may, by a majority of the votes cast at that meeting, elect any member in good standing in his stead for the remainder of his term.
- A vacancy occurring from time to time in any office of the Association may, so long as a quorum of the Executive Committee remains in office, be filled by the Executive Committee from among the members in good standing of the Association and such officer shall hold office until the first annual meeting after he shall have been so appointed.
- If there is not a quorum of the Executive Committee following a vacancy, then the remaining members of the Executive Committee shall forthwith call a meeting of the members to fill the vacancy or vacancies.
- A representative vacancy occurring on the Executive shall be filled by notification to the membership in that classification. If more than one person submits their name to fill the vacancy a mail-in vote will take place.
- The candidate for the office of President shall have served on the executive for two consecutive years and must be a current member of the executive.